Someone Hurt on Property: Everything You Need to Know

Have you ever wondered what happens if someone gets hurt on your property? We are going to share everything you need to know.
Dooley Noted, Business Lawyer, Estate planning, Restaurant Lawyer, Insurance Dispute attorney, Alternative Dispute Resolutions

Staff Writer

Staff Writer, @DooleyNotedLaw

Recommended for you

How to Handle a Property Line Dispute 

How to Handle a Property Line Dispute 

There's nothing worse than a pesky neighbor. Maybe they let their lawn grow way too long or refuse to trim the tree encroaching in your space, so you might wonder, how do I handle a property line dispute? Those invisible lines that define where your property starts...

If someone gets injured on your property, it is important to know what to do. You need to find out if you are responsible for their injury. However, it depends on how the person got hurt and their status on your property. Additionally, if someone gets hurt on your property, they might sue you. It is best to be prepared

What is Premises Liability?

Premises liability is the law that says homeowners are responsible for people’s safety on their property. This includes making sure that the property is safe and free of dangers. If someone gets hurt on your property because you did not take proper care to make it safe, they may sue you.

As a result, you should be aware of potential lawsuits that can happen everyday. Some examples of these lawsuits are:

  • Animal and Dog Bites
  • Slip and Fall Accidents
  • Dangerous Property
  • Negligent or Inadequate Security
  • Swimming Pool Injury
  • Inadequate Maintenance
  • Children on Property
  • Retail Store Liability
  • Restaurant Liability

General Property Liability

If you own property, the law requires you to keep it safe. You must ensure the safety of the property for people who visit. For instance, if someone gets hurt on your property, you may have to pay their medical bills and lost wages.

Moreover, the law says that the level of liability depends on what kind of person was on the property. The law identifies three types of people: an invitee, a licensee, and a trespasser.


An invitee is someone you have invited onto your property for a business reason. If you own a store, for example, your customers are the invitees who come to buy something from you. As the property owner, it is your responsibility to make sure that they are safe while on your property. For example, this includes repairing any dangerous things on the property that may cause injury to others.


When you invite someone on your property, they are called a licensee. A licensee is someone you have permitted to be on your property, but they are generally there for social reasons. For example, the law identifies guests as licensees if you have a holiday party at your house. It’s best practice to tell your guests about any hidden dangers on your property. If you know about a threat, you have to inform them. You will be responsible if they get hurt, and it’s your fault.


A trespasser does not have permission to be on your property. Therefore, the property owner does not have to protect them. However, in some instances, a property owner is liable for the safety of a trespasser. Below includes a list of situations where a property owner may be held liable for the safety of a trespasser.

  • The trespasser was a child.
  • The property owner intended to cause the injury.
  • The property owner provided no warning signs of dangerous property conditions.

If someone comes to your house and you do not invite them, it is best to contact local law enforcement.

Should You Get Personal Liability Coverage In Case Someone Gets Hurt on Your Property?

If you own a home or business, you should have property insurance that offers some protection for personal liability. However, if you’re unsure how much coverage you need, check with your insurance company to see what they offer. Most homeowners policies provide $100,000 to $300,000 in liability protection.

It is essential to understand what your insurance policy covers and does not cover. For example, most homeowners’ policies will not cover injuries caused by pets. You might need to purchase additional coverage, such as an umbrella policy, to get the protection you need. It is crucial to be ready before an accident happens on your property.

Why Hire a Real Estate Lawyer in Texas

If you know someone getting injured on your property, you should call a real estate lawyer in Texas. They will help you understand what you need to do next and can help you file an insurance claim.

An experienced real estate lawyer will be able to answer any questions you have about your rights and responsibilities under the law. They will be able to help you understand what rights you have.

You don’t want to wait until it is too late if somebody gets injured on your property. Dooley Noted is a law firm that specializes in real estate law. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We can help you protect and prepare yourself for anything that might happen.

The contents of this post, and the posting and viewing of the information on this post, should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues.

Recommended for you

Uninsured in an Accident: Everything You Need to Know

If you are involved in a collision, and the other driver is uninsured in an accident, what do you do? A situation like this is often confusing and frustrating, especially if you are unfamiliar with the law. This blog post will discuss everything you need to know about...