Become a Permanent Resident with DACA

Can you become a permanent resident with DACA? We're here to tell you everything you need to know to become a U.S. resident from DACA status.
Dooley Noted, Business Lawyer, Estate planning, Restaurant Lawyer, Insurance Dispute attorney, Alternative Dispute Resolutions

Staff Writer

Staff Writer, @DooleyNotedLaw

Recommended for you

Can I Work under Asylum/Refugee Status?

Can I Work under Asylum/Refugee Status?

The answer is complex because an asylum seeker or refugee must consider many things. However, this blog post will discuss everything you need to know about how to work under asylum/refugee status in the United States. We will also provide information on finding an...

DACA has benefited many people who had no other option. This information will be helpful if you have DACA status or know someone who has DACA status. The United Statues provides a process where you can become a permant resident with DACA status. This process can be complicated, but we are here to help you through it. We have created a guide to help you adjust your status. Additionally, it’s essential to seek the help of an immigration lawyer in Texas who can guide you through the process.

What is DACA?

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is a program that protects deportation and work authorization for undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. as children. This program lasts two years. President Barack Obama created DACA in 2012 through an executive order.

DACA recipients are people who came to the U.S. as children with their families and don’t currently have citizenship or legal status. The main goal of DACA is to protect these people, who are known as “Dreamers.” They don’t have to worry about deportation and can work in the U.S. for two years. The DACA status is renewable every two years.

Can I Apply for DACA? 

On July 16, 2021, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas ruled that DACA was illegal. Unfortunately, this means that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is no longer accepting new applications for DACA. However, they are still renewing and processing applications submitted before that date. The immigration services are still processing employment authorization requests from current DACA recipients. If you have questions about your status, it is best to seek legal counsel from an immigration attorney in Texas.

Become a Permanent Resident with DACA  

If you are already a DACA recipient, you may be eligible to adjust your status to permanent residence (Green Card). There are a couple of ways to apply for permanent residence. However, you must have a sponsor no matter which route you take.

Family-based Green Cards

One way to adjust your status as a DACA recipient is through an immediate relative who already has a permanent residence or U.S. citizenship. Your parent, child, or sibling would file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative on your behalf.

Employment-based Green Cards

Another way to adjust your status as a DACA recipient is through employment. Your employer would file an I-140 Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker. There are a variety of ways to apply through employment. It would be helpful to consult with an Immigration Attorney to help you decide which category is best for your case.

It is essential to understand that your status as a DACA recipient matters. How you entered the United States affects how easy it will be to adjust your status. There are different ways to enter the United States lawfully. You can use a visa or a visa waiver program. When you enter, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer will inspect you and let you into the United States.

If you did not go through this process, it might affect the forms you need to file and the process you must follow. An immigration lawyer can help determine the best path forward for your case.

Who Can Become a Permanent Residence?

If you are a DACA recipient, you can become a permanent resident. You will need to follow the same process as other nonimmigrants. That includes finding a sponsor. This can be an employer or family member willing to file Form I-130, also known as a Petition for Alien Relative, on your behalf.

If the U.S. granted you a DACA status, it is essential to speak with an immigration lawyer in Texas. This way, you can learn about your options for obtaining permanent residency.

Why Hire an Immigration Lawyer in Texas to Become a Permanent Resident with DACA

If you have DACA status, it may not be clear what to do next. You might be wondering if you should keep renewing your status or adjust it to permanent residency. Having all the most updated information is crucial so you can make the best decision for yourself. That’s why it is vital to have an immigration lawyer in Texas to help guide you through the process. An experienced immigration attorney can help you determine the best path forward. Additionally, they will ensure you take all the necessary steps to obtain permanent residency.

If you need help with your immigration case, contact the Dooley Noted Law today for a free consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer. We can help you figure out the best plan of action for your individual needs.

The contents of this post, and the posting and viewing of the information on this post, should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues.

Recommended for you

Uninsured in an Accident: Everything You Need to Know

If you are involved in a collision, and the other driver is uninsured in an accident, what do you do? A situation like this is often confusing and frustrating, especially if you are unfamiliar with the law. This blog post will discuss everything you need to know about...